Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Magic of Trees


"It is looking at things for a long time that ripens you and gives you a deeper meaning."
~ Vincent van Gogh ~

© 2018 Tammy Kaufman
soft pastels on Pastelmat
Trees. I love them. I feel a kinship with them. In the forest, I discover a wondrous sense of peace and calm that I rarely find anywhere else. By reading and studying author Peter Wohlleben's amazing book, "The Hidden Life of Trees", I'm also learning about the support and care they provide one another in the forest. As part of my therapy, I'm now working on connecting with that sense of unity and support described in Mr. Wohlleben's book via my own tree and forest paintings. The series of small paintings pictured above was inspired by a single view of the same forest over many months, and it was remarkable to me how much joy I found in painting these trees through the seasons. So I'm sure I'll be doing something similar again.