Monday, July 22, 2019

Finding Meaning

"I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough?"
~ Vincent van Gogh ~

As time passes and I find myself in the latter half of my time on this earth, I'm beginning to gain some insights into just what it is that makes life feel worthwhile and gives this existence meaning, especially as it relates to nature, art and their value to me personally. 

"Hidden Beauty"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
5" x 7" soft pastel on Pastelmat
Inspired by William B. Umstead State Park
While there is a certain joy in selling paintings, particularly to those who feel my artwork speaks to them on a deeper level than merely color or subject matter, I'm discovering that sales are no longer that important to me. Is it simply sour grapes because I haven't had a lot of success with sales as of late? Perhaps. But I'd like to believe it's more than that.

"Threshold of Patience"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
6" x 8" soft pastel on Pastel Premier
Inspired by Dunn Creek Greenway
On introspection, I find that increasingly what matters most to me is expressing my attachment to and respect for our parks, greenways, nature preserves and natural open spaces by painting my interpretations of these local treasures.

"Tiptoeing on the Edge of Summer"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
3.75" x 7" soft pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Inspired by Horseshoe Farm Nature Preserve
I realized this most clearly after being invited to exhibit my works at some area nature parks and preserves. 

"When the Light Falls"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
7" x 5" soft pastel on UArt 600
Inspired by South Mountains State Park
There is virtually no chance of selling my paintings at these venues and yet the sense of fulfillment and purpose I experience when my artworks are on display in the very places that inspire them is something uniquely satisfying in a way that is unparalleled by any monetary success. 

"Fascination Falling"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
5" x 7" soft pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Inspired by South Mountains State Park
Having my paintings sharing the same space as their natural world inspiration brings me a sense of arriving full circle, but no matter whether they are viewed in the parks themselves or merely online, if seeing my interpretations of these beautiful places inspires others to cherish, protect and support our parks and nature preserves, then that is more valuable to me than any amount of dollars in my pocket.

"Three Queens"
© 2019 Tammy Kaufman
4" x 4" acrylic on Da Vinci Pro Ultra Smooth Cradled Gesso Panel
Inspired by Eno River State Park

"My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature."
~ Claude Monet ~